Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Allright*. Obama is the next president.

I do have a penchant for calling these races early. Back in... I don't want to look it up, but several months ago I called Hillary for the Democratic nomination (I reiterate that I thought so because she is relentless, and I also reiterate that she sure is).

So why the heck would I call the general election now?


(A) Obama has long-ago won the Demcratic nomination. This is ridiculous. There is no math that makes any alternative outcome (Hillary) possible. None. Except that Obama dies a sudden and untimely death, which I sure the hell hope Clinton isn't counting on.

I sure, sure the hell hope not. But she is holding nothing else in her poker hand.

Nothing, by the way. Did I say "nothing" already?


(B) Obama will beat McCain; and I submit THIS as evidence. Watch this clip, listen close on every word, and pay special attention, in fact, to Huckabee's words. To repeat the poker analogy, McCain is holding nothing going into this November. Flat-out nothing. His solution for Iraq is to dig further in without real commitment to the war (no draft, no new taxes); and his solution for the economy is more tax cuts and more deregulation. Your workaday Republican charlatanry: we can get everything for nothing.

[Note: This is the Laffer Curve: lowering taxes will raise revenue. Which was always bullshit. Reagan first accepted this principle (and doubled back on it, by raising taxes once his initial lowering of taxes resulted in - duh - lower revenue), and all Good Republicans since have extended this Laffer-Curve religion into every element of public policy: lowball a war in order to win it. Cut food programs in order to feed people. Reduce government spending (direct investment in the economy) in order to stimulate the economy. Black is white, war is peace, conservatism is compassionate. (Comment to Note: John Maynard Keynes, father of macroeconomics, called government spending a "multiplier", because the initial spending stimulated the economy, but there was a secondary spending that occurred out of the salaries of the government employees paid in the first spending. This is what got us out of the Great Depression (doubters: was or was not World War II a time of increased government spending?) Whereas Republicans, on the other hand, have their own theory called "trickle-down economics", which means you do the reverse: let the government spend no money and have rich people hang onto it all. Well, guess what? A dollar saved by a rich person is put into savings, and does not create the effective (payable) demand which is the true engine of our economy. A dollar put in the pocket of a government employee (unless that employee is Dick Cheney) is rather likely to go to McDonald's that afternoon, and thus stimulate the economy. In sum, Republican economics is sheer and simple bullshit. Or, as the elder Bush notably called it, "voodoo".)]

People, in short, see where this crap has already been leading us. So I don't want to go on about it at length.

McCain has got nothing. Least of all, these days, any residual straight-talk.

Did I say already he's got nothing?

A fencepost could beat McCain this year. Which is to say that if John Kerry were the Democratic nominee, he would take the thing. However, Kerry isn't the nominee. It's Obama. Who may or may not be the Savior of the American Republic: but I sure hope he is, because I believe he will be its next President.

Seriously, watch that clip I recommended if you aren't feeling me.


And, (C). Which is that I don't believe Obama will let them get away with the garbage Huckabee suggests at the end of the clip. Huckabee says the Republican nominee is likely to lose, unless sufficient seeds of doubt can be sown into the Democrat. And I, um - well, some have said Obama responded to the Jeremiah Wright thing too slowly, or in half-measures. But I have a feeling here. I think the man knows how to street-fight these things; I think he now knows how to street-fight them even better than he did before the Wright thing came up; and I have confidence that he will punch on through.

Am I wrong? Lay a bet with me in the comments: I work nonprofit and don't have a lot of cash, but I might take you up.


PS. I began this blog with an unstated personal ban on the use of obscenities. I let that standard slip in a recent post about the fifth anniversary of "Mission Impossible", or whatever in god's name The Retard called that miscarriage. I was mad. Today I seem to have done something similar with the use of the word "bullshit"'; but I want to make it clear that I intend the term technically, with a meaning not quite captured by any other word. IE, "Saying stuff which is superficially plausible, but which the speaker, and very possibly the listeners, know is not true: but yet, in the saying of which, it is hoped that in the formalism of its merely being spoken that a given point will still be carried, or at least not too-closely questioned."

I have an elaborate definition of "bullshit", as you can see. Therefore you understand my need to resort to the term. But it resumes from here that in general, I am committed to the notion that I will make my arguments only the more persuasively if I do so without vulgarity.

(Bullshit!)


* I spell it, "allright". Not "alright" or "all right", which every dictionary in the world tells me to do. Why? Even though I am aware this is regarded incorrect? Because I like it better that way. It's the same reason I put my end-comma outside of a given "quotation", and why is that? Because the comma isn't a part of the freaking quotation, that's why. The stuff in the quotes is the stuff being quoted, yes? And no sentence ends with a frigging comma. I figure that if I defy grammar as-taught in the name of just one or two items that bear greater common sense, then these things might catch on. "Alright"? Why do we drop the second "l"?

And while I'm at this - people, use commas to separate the last item in a list. It creates ambiguities otherwise. Check this out:

The budget allocates resources to the following areas: capital expenses, salaries, building maintenance, research and development and sundries.

Versus:

The budget allocates resources to the following areas: capital expenses, salaries, building maintenance, research and development, and sundries.

You know what I'm saying. Use the last comma in a list. Not to do so values economy over meaning, which is simply goddamned stupid. AP Style be damned.

Thank you. I have exhausted all the opinions I can think of for the moment

Oh: I hate onions.

3 comments:

Lauryl said...

Hi Marc!

Alright, regarding betting -- I bet (and hope) that you are right about Obama winning the election.

I heard this a.m. that Ralph Nader's name will be on the ballot in 45 states. Why does he do this and who do you think is more likely to lose votes? It is his right to do this, BUT he knows that he won't win...Hillary Clinton and Ralph Nader--separated at birth?

Thanks for the puncuation reminder; maybe sometime soon you will address (again) semi-colon use?

Lauryl
>^..^<

PS - I hate eggplant

mwilson said...

I watch Nader with some interest. I'm on his email list and get something maybe three times a week. The sticking point with the guy is that he has to go and be right about all of the issues. Obama is a moderate. I like him, but he's a moderate.

I guess what I mean is that I have trouble ginning up rabid Nader hatred. I'm enough of a pragmatist that I have no thought of voting for him, but I don't hate him. Nader makes a good point that if Gore had sufficiently distinguished himself from Bush in 2000, then Gore's vote totals would also have been well-distinguished from Bush's. Nader could only be a spoiler if the candidates were closely matched....

Anyway, Nader was a much smaller influence on the '04 elections; I think this time he'll be smaller still. Nobody sees McCain and Obama as Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

As for semicolons, use them for (a) marking a join in a sentence where the two halves could live on as sentences of their own (ie, independent clauses). Example: Nader may be a spoiler; I don't expect it to matter this year.

Or for (b) separating items in a list wherein any of the items themselves contain commas. Example: There have been many Presidential candidates this season, including Reublicans like McCain, Huckabee, Romney, Giuliani, Thompson, and Paul; Democrats like Obama, Clinton, Edwards, Biden, Richardson, Kucinich, and Gravel; and even independents and third-party candidates like Nader, Barr, and (again) Gravel.

Perhaps there are other rules about semicolons; those two should cover you for 95% of it.

mwilson said...

So I'm predicting Obama will win, nearly six months in advance. I say it principally because the wind is against the Republicans, and McCain has got nothing to run on but the undercutting and smearing of the other guy.

Perhaps I fail to factor in folks like Kristen Breitweiser, who at first simply comes off sounding like she's terrified of the world at large and holed up by her computer jumping from her own shadow. But when you think about it, you realize what's really happening is that Mrs. Breitweiser will only loosen her grip on Hillary when you pry her cold, dead fingers from her chosen candidate. To quote the NRA well out of context.

No doubt about it, Obama has a big job - convincing middle America that he's not a maniac Muslim terrorist (who's inexperienced!) at the same time that he has to convince these Hillary maniacs that their candidate lost, under the legitimate and agreed-upon rules and procedures of their own party: and that they need to get on with their frigging lives.

(One note: if Hillary's so much stronger a candidate than Obama, then why did she lose? With an initial light-years-wide advantage in dollars and name recognition, no less?)

So it won't be a cakewalk. But I stick with what I've said.