Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Yoo-Nighted States

I posted this comic once before, but I thought it bore a repeat with the release last week of John Yoo's torture memo.

Funny thing, I wasn't even thinking of Yoo when I wrote out "The Yoo-Nighted States of America"; it just seemed like the way Bush talks. You know, like how he charmingly chooses to call his countrymen "Merkins".


By the way, while I'm on the subject - just incidentally, you know - it will redound to this nation's perpetual shame that not only has this man not been impeached, but that no one involved in the extralegal capture, imprisonment, and torture of foreign combatants and American citizens alike - unambiguous war criminals all - has been so much as issued a reprimand.

Aside from that, my feelings are pretty neutral in the matter.

1 comment:

mwilson said...

Here's another thought. Something I've seen neither Hillary nor Obama address is whether they're game to open up the books upon taking office (that is, whatever books Bush doesn't shred). Which candidate will throw the windows open widest and let some sunshine into the White House (and, in my happiest daydream, help establish the case for some serious criminal proceedings)?

I'd be willing to switch my support to whichever candidate pledges to do this. But I'm afraid neither will. Re-establishing the rule of law in this country, and making an authentic effort to restore its system of checks and balances, will be seen as bad blood and vendetta - a threat to the low negatives Democrats are hoping to maintain among focus groups.